Kurzweil PC88 "scanner is dead"
Matzon
2006-01-29 09:48:41 UTC
Hi!
Sometime ago some person emailed a question about PC88 error "scanner is
dead". I have had this error on my PC88 for several years and had not
enough time to check it by myself. I got this keyboard on the service
once, but they did not find anything to repair. The memory battery has
been changed but that is not the point. I assume there may be some cold
contacts on the circuit boards, may be on power supply or something. Does
any one have experiencies about this kind of issue? Br. Matti / Finland
jochen
2006-03-26 19:40:05 UTC
i have had the same problem and coud fix it
press the buttons 1,2and 3 during power on and leave them within 2 seconds
than you see in the lcd

"Press <<< to reset
Press >>> to diag"

Press >>> to diagnose
and you see

Debug cpu test

press the zone 3 button and the test will start

on the right side of the display you see fail or
pass if pass it is all right to step to the next test press a key for the
midi uart test you need
a midicable from out to in at least there will be a test of vgm port if
you have none its fail otherwise 5 sinus tones will be performt and after
every tone you have to qit with a key the same is for the sound test.
in the diagnose program the scanner is testet
if its pass its all right after the sound test
the program ends and you have to switch out and on
again after that it should work if the scanner test dont fails

jochen

ps please report your experience
Matzon
2006-07-22 07:12:55 UTC
Hi Jochen! Thanks for your advice. In fact in the very beginning, when this
problem appeared I did those steps you mentioned, those are in the manual
also. Anyway, those did not help. But what is quite curious thing, the
piano has been working now quite well. I tried again those steps, and
every test goes through successfully. So, don't know what is the final
reason. The piano has not been in very heavy use at all, only occasional
playing when I have had suitable time. Will those errors come back if used
more, transport it etc. One new thing I noticed, one of the keys seem to
give full volume when pressing it. I noticed someone here adviced how to
repair this kind of issue, I try to check it. Br. Matti